Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I'm worth more than $100 jeans


A few nights ago, I went shopping in the Willow Grove mall, near Philadelphia. As I walked past the window of the The Lucky Brand store, the mannequins caught my attention. I had never been in the store before, and never considered buying anything from them. But, in light of my Top 10 Ways To Nurture Self-Love, I decided to take the plunge.

A saleswoman scurried over as I walked in. "May I help you with something?"

"Well, I'm not sure what size I am," I said, looking over the mounds of jeans. "But I don't think I would be a size 30!" I found out later that Lucky marks their clothing with EURO sizes. Duh! I should have known better.

The saleswoman was friendly and helpful. She asked what size I normally wear, and found some jeans for me to try on. As I tried on the jeans, I snuck a peak at the price tag. $110.00!

Can I tell you I almost passed out in that little room? I don't think I've ever bought a pair of pants for over $40, let alone $110. Trying on the jeans was a guilty pleasure. These jeans fit like a glove and fell to the floor like a dream. I left the store with those jeans, and with a new attitude of myself. I am worth more than a $100 pair of jeans. I am invaluable. I am awesome. I love me.

When you're use to putting yourself last, it's easy to splurge on the bills, but not on yourself. I enjoy wearing these jeans because they remind me how valuable I am. My true worth can't be measured by material things. But we live in a touch and feel world. It is easier to begin loving yourself with tangible things than it is with ideals. Let's start small, before we tackle the heavy stuff.

Owning a pair of clothing equal to 1-week's salary is one of my Top 10 Ways To Nurture Self-Love. You see, we are the only ones who can cultivate how we feel about ourselves. We set the tone for how people view us, and how valuable we are.

Top 10 Ways to Nurture a Healthy Self-Love
  1. Look in your mirror each day, and tell yourself why you love you.
  2. Forgive yourself for past mistakes, and look forward to your future.
  3. Ex-foliate your skin once a week with a great salt scrub, and moisturize for that spa-feeling.
  4. Give yourself a manicure or pedicure once a month.
  5. Get your hair done by a professional once every two months.
  6. Have at least one piece of clothing in your wardrobe that costs a week's worth of salary.
  7. Have a personal spa day at least once a year.
  8. Teach people how to love you.
  9. Take care of your temple by eating right and exercising 3 times a week.
  10. Trim your friendship tree often.

Do you have some more ways or disagree? Leave a comment or an additional way to nurture self-love. And make sure to subscribe to this thread, so we can notify you with updates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that I thought that I was reading an article by someone other than my sister...I was reading like "WOW, this is interesting" and then I'm like, Christine wrote this? Go head sistah gurl!!! Don't stop writing Chris...You have a gift!